Thursday, August 9, 2012

A very crafty day

Today was a very crafty day at work, because of where I work (group home) we can not have any decorations that can not be bolted down. My co-worker found instructions in an old craft book of hers to make a vase out of an old book. We didn't have any old books on hand and to be honest the thought of cutting up a book to make a craft absolutely horrifies me. Instead we used a pad of construction paper. Admittidly if it had been a full pad of paper it would have ended up looking a lot better.

The instructions to make this are very simple, along the bound edge draw an outline of half of a vase, cut out the shape through all of the pages using an exacto knife, glue the first and last page together. We used the scraps of leftover construction paper to make flowers, they were flopping a bit so we added pipe cleaners to the back of the stems.


And using two old, small, cardboard boxes we made these two vases with construction paper glued on the outside to make these vases.

We also tried origami and I must admit that it was a huge failure even with step by step picture instructions. I remember folding notes into fun shapes and animals in school and making paper cranes, drinking cups, sail boats etc... all with no problem and now I can not make a crane to save my life. I should have taken pictures of the great disaster but I did not. I will be trying it again soon but I will most likely use you tube videos instead of pictures from a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment